Long expected, Google finally has released the popular Google Desktop for Linux. I have just started indexing and look forward to searching man pages in a way I never knew :) - All I used to do was man -k before. This would be so much better I would hope.
Get it here
Thursday, June 28, 2007
Sunday, June 24, 2007
Want to check how much time your scripts or images take to load up?
Samsung's Ultra Edition 10.9 (U600) exudes elegance and modern style, coming in a range of colors which includes sapphire blue, garnet red, platinum metal and copper gold casing. The clever design of Samsung's Ultra Edition 10.9 (U600) includes a unique and stylish interface for uncomplicated usability. It also comes equipped with a 3.2-megapixel camera encased in an ultra slim profile, which boasts a 2.22-inch wide TFT LCD widescreen. For feature watchers, Samsung's Ultra Edition 12.1 (U700) offers HSDPA 3.6 Mbps data transfer speed and video telephony.
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
- there's no Flash or Java support
- there is PDF support
- Quicktime is used for encoding and displaying video and audio
- said video is encoded via H.264
- with Safari on the iPhone, links can be embedded in web pages to allow phone calls from a click; this would be insanely useful for corporate directories and such
- the iPhone's browser user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A538a Safari/419.3 (quick, everybody check your http logs!)
Monday, June 18, 2007
So much for my excitement of having UNLIMITED email storage. My Yahoo email account throws the above error - all I did was forward is few hundreds of mails per day.
Forget Unlimited Yahoo CRAP - Download using Gmail POP
Saturday, June 16, 2007
If you happen to see a page like above, when you visit a Google page, you need not panic.
According to Viruslist, Google might have just blacklisted some of the IPs which might have sent automatic queries to its search engine and you might have just picked that IP address when you renewed your Internet connection.
So, next time you get this, you should probably just ignore the message, enter the Captcha or try to renew your Internet Connection again
Mark Wilton-Jones has researched a bit more to show Safari isn't as fast as it claims to be
Friday, June 15, 2007
To install on Ubuntu
sudo apt-get install galeon
Thursday, June 14, 2007
Ars Technica reviews Safari for Windows and yes they are absolutely right, Safari is no way close to being the best browser - I find it painful to use Safari - just too many things to get used to - Stick to Firefox
Read the review here
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Another Gmail quirk - I don't know why it happened to me, but if you get this error
This is what their official help suggests
"We suggest making some adjustments in your mail client's settings so you aren't always prompted to enter your username and password. Please check the following settings in your mail client:
- Make sure that you entered @gmail.com after your username. For example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Re-enter your password to ensure that it's correct. Keep in mind that passwords are case-sensitive.
- Make sure your mail client isn't set to check for new mail too often. If your mail client checks for new messages more than once every 10 minutes, your client might repeatedly request your username and password.
- Disable all POP clients you're using to read Gmail messages. (If you use one at work and one at home, please disable both.)
- From the computer on which your POP logins are failing, visit http://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha
- Enter your Gmail username and password, and the letters in the distorted picture.
- Once you have successfully logged in, restart your mail client and try to download your mail."
Worked for me :)
Sunday, June 03, 2007
I haven't tried out sylpheed since gtk-1.2 days. I was looking for a replacement for Evolution which I was using as my second mail client (use Thunderbird as the primary client) .
I wanted the simplest of GUI based mail clients and Sylpheed seems to be perfect fit - Its fast, does most of what a mail clients do (protocols, privacy, junk mail handling, command line options, etc) and more importantly doesn't crash (evolution crashes a lot!). Its a little unconventional in terms of UI, but I guess its manageable.
sudo apt-get install sylpheed
- Slide open the glass cover to reveal the keypad and camera beneath
- Light your way onto the scene - the keypad glows subtly beneath the polished glass cover
- View pictures on the high-resolution display, supporting up to 16-million colors
- Capture special moments on video or with the 2.0-megapixel camera with up to 4x digital zoom, landscape camcorder and video player
- Enjoy music and videos with video playback and streaming, built-in FM radio, and the music player supporting AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, MIDI, AMR, and WMA audio formats
- SMS reader and high-quality text-to-speech instant messaging (IM) and presence-enhanced contacts
- Downloadable Java applications via J2ME to complement preinstalled games (High Roller Casino, Soccer 3D, and 3D Golf Tour)
- Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR (enhanced data rate) specification supporting stereo audio streaming via A2DP BT (advanced audio distribution profile for Bluetooth
- Use Mobile Search to find and connect to local services, websites, images, and mobile content
- Micro-USB 2.0 connector for audio, data, and battery charging and synchronization with PC using Nokia PC Suite