Sunday, May 27, 2007

My Experience of Beryl on Feisty Fawn


I finally installed Beryl on a nvidia GeForce based machine.

I had to

sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl beryl-ubuntu beryl-manager emerald-themes

Had to add Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True" to my device section to get the Window titles back. I was also suggested to make DefaultDepth 24 in my Screen section of xorg.conf

One I had done this, restart X/Gnome and do a beryl-manager to get going. Little buggy but its worth the fun watching windows flying around :). Expose feature ! Wow!

I like the Beryl Manager > General Options > Shortcuts / Commands feature so that I can get my terminal open if I press Alt-t - ofcourse you could add any command that you want - say launch Firefox. Doing this in metacity involved some hacking through the gconf-editor

The options just stunned me - you could basically own what you want to do - you could configure anything and everything. Move over Vista

What I love as of now

1. Screen Edges

2. Desktop CUBE - wOw!

3. Configuration options

4. Stunning effects.

5. Non GPLed Themes - Sorry :)

6. Haven't had a crash yet :) Ok, It just doesn't like rxvt in the background, crashes pretty regularly. My system hangs once in a while. Ugh, SAD!
Late night fun!

No comments: