Sunday, November 12, 2006

Surf the web anonymously

No paid software here :).

We use something called Tor.

Tor
is a Firefox extension that lets you do that! Tor works using a technology called Onion Routing

To start surfing the web completely anonymously - you will also need one more extension called Switchproxy

Install Tor on Ubuntu

sudo apt-get install tor privoxy

Edit the file /etc/privoxy/config (you will require root/sudo) and add the following

forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .

Save and restart privoxy

sudo /etc/init.d/privoxy restart

Now, install SwitchProxy

Go to http://addons.mozilla.org and search for SwitchProxy and install the extension like any other

In the manual configuration for SwitchProxy, add a new proxy called Tor

For HTTP Proxy, SSL Proxy, FTP Proxy - fill in the below

Host : 127.0.0.1 Port : 8118

You are to ready to GO! If you face any issues surfing, just tell SwitchProxy not to use any proxy.

Visit the Official Website

1 comment:

Startpagina Adolfse said...

It didn't work right for me. Once I could surf and had a differend IP. But my local IP on my router weren't hidden. The second time I couldn't surf at all anymore. Besides this switchproxy plugin makes Firefox terribly slow. I had to uninstall tor and privoxy before I could surf again.

I'm Using Ubuntu 7.10 Gnome version.